When digging holes to insert your posts, you need a tool called the post hole digger to make the work easier for you. There are different types of post hole diggers available in the markets that you could go for depending on the shape, depth and size of the post hole you need dug. Using post hole diggers helps create a hole that is cylindrical and well shaped for the post to be inserted into. Using these tools takes minimal time and effort in the long run. Below we have compiled for you a list of the best manual post hole diggers that you will find in the market today.
12. Truper 30382 Heavy Duty Post Hole Digger
Truper is a name that resonates with anyone who has ever used or purchased hand tools. It is known for its excellent quality hand tools for a wide variety of applications. The Truper 30382 heavy duty Post Hole Digger lives up to the manufacturers name – a quality product for the money. It boasts an array of features geared towards making post hole digging easy and hassle free. Some of the notable features of the product include: a lifetime warranty, a professional grade fiberglass handle, durable steel blades, and a weight of 10.3 pounds.
- Comes with a CA-38F, fiberglass handle that is 48 inches long and has a soft cushion grip for best comfort when handing the machine.
- Ideal for professional use.
- Its steel blades are strong and will handle tough soils.
- Covered by a lifetime warranty.
- Best for working on solid soils.
- Useful in wide number of applications including; ranch, farm, construction, and many others.
- It is stress-free to operate. It digs the post holes quickly and efficiently as you are seated on tractor seat.
- Reliable – it does what it is designed for.
- It is not exhausting to use even if it is a little heavy.
- Its handles are durable and they do not bend or flex easily.
- Has durable steel blades.
- It the best for hard soils.
- Very efficient.
- It has cushioned handles that are comfortable to hold.
- Works well for most outdoor jobs.
- Excellent quality product. It is professional grade.
- It is easy to use.
- Heavier for the elderly.
- It does not hold well on sandy soils.
11. Ames True Temper 1711900 Dig EZ Post Hole Digger
The handles of the Ames True Temper 1711900 are made of fiberglass and have good grip on the end for easier handling and use. It has blades that close firmly when inserted into the ground, thus being able to pick up soil when lifted up for speedy and efficient hole digging. The handles are designed in such a way to minimize effort. Its 14-inch gauge blade that is made of steel helps to give a tight and effective performance allowing you to take less time and effort when working with it.
Its blades are sharp and therefore pierce the ground with much ease. This result is a well dug post hole that is neat and tidy. The True Temper 1711900 Post Hole Digger has been designed in such a way that you will use only minimal effort but achieve the bigger results that you desire.
- Blades made of steel and sharp to dig deep into the soil.
- Handles made of fiberglass featuring with great grips for easy handling.
- The handle travelling is decreased by up to 40% so that minimal effort is applied.
- It is not ideal for digging very deep holes.
10. Fiskars 60 Inch Steel Post Hole Digger
The Fiskars 60 Inch Steel Post Hole Digger features a handle that is to prevent any injury to your knuckles when using the tool. It has its handles offset thus allowing you to dig holes that are a foot deep. It also comes with steel blades which are strong pre-sharpened state. This makes the tool be able to puncture through the ground easily with minimal force. It has a powder coating which helps to prevent the tool from rusting. This also ensures that the post hole digger can be kept clean without involving any high cost maintenance. Its designing and unique shape makes it such a strong tool that won’t break that easily even with aggressive use. Click here to read our full review.
- Comes with a blade that is narrow that allows for effortless digging.
- When the handles are widened the blades open up to 6.5 inches.
- Its amazing blades are made from steel that is hardened for extra strength.
- The hole digging results are professional.
- It is best suited for digging deeper post holes.
- Its blade spread to 6-0.5 inch diameter.
- The length is 60-1.4 inches.
- In cases where the powder coating wear off, then rusting will occur.
9. Seymour DG-60 Post Hole Digger
It features carbon blades that are manufactured with steel for extra strength so that you can use it to dig post holes even in hard ground. The 48-inch handle is made of hardwood that will not break easily. Being made out of wood also ensures that the handle will not rust. The carbon-steel blades will also not corrode that easily. Its intricate design allows you to use it with minimal effort to dig your post holes. The lower part of the handles of the Seymour Mfg DG-60 are designed with a square cut feature. This in effect helps to give more strength to the handles during use. The blades are double-bolted on the wooden handles for even more strength. The blades are also sharp thus, giving a more precise post hole that is clean and neat.
- Handles made of hardwood and designed in a square shape for extra strength.
- Its blades can be replaced and are double-bolted and triple riveted for durability.
- It has sharp blades made of carbon steel that puncture through the ground with minimal effort.
- Handles made of wood may not be that long lasting.
8. Truper 32406 Tru Tough Atlas Pattern Post Hole Digger
The Truper 32406 Tru tough Atlas Pattern Post Hole Digger is ideal for making holes for your home’s fence posts. It is 48-inches long and features fiberglass handles with a great cushion grip made for easier handling. It is ideal for quick post hole digging as it is light in weight and is easy to handle. Another advantage of its lightweight is that it does not exhaust you too much when you’re using it. It can be used to cut through compact soils and a highly rooted area and its blades are replaceable.
- It is ideal for quick digging.
- It is lightweight and will not tire you down that easily.
- Has handles made of fiberglass.
- Blades made of steel and are replaceable.
- The blades are not as strong as is being hyped by the manufacturer.
7. Nupla Post Hole Digger, 72-inch
Manual post hole diggers, as implied by their name require manual labor to operate. The user relies on their brute arm in order to get the job done. The blades of the manual post hole digger should be kept sharp enough if at all you want to get your job done. The handles should also be designed in such a way that it does not cause your knuckles to bang together when you are digging the post holes. The Nupla post hole digger is a manually operated and designed to offer maximum efficiency when digging post holes. It is made of durable fiberglass material and it is quite long when compared to similar units. Its 72-inch handle allows for deeper digging and it has 6-1/2 inch strong blades that can dig into harder soil conditions.
- Made of fiberglass material which is strong and durable.
- It is 72 inches long making the unit the longest when compared to other manual post hole diggers.
- It is capable of digging deeper post holes thanks to its long length.
- Has a 6 and half wide blade spread that allows for digging post holes that are wide enough for standard size posts.
- Ideal for digging harder and heavier gravel grounds.
- Its blade is strong and durable. Serves well even on hard soils.
- Longer than other models and hence digs deeper post holes.
- It offers value for money.
- Ideal for digging hard grounds.
- Easy to use.
- Strong blade can handle tough jobs.
- It has cushioned handles for maximum comfort.
- Easy to maintain.
- Might not handle projects that require deeper and wider holes within a short period of time.
6. Ames True Temper Heavy Duty Kodiak Post Hole Digger
The Ames True Temper designed for maximum efficiency. This unit is quite heavy when compared to similar products in the market and it has the best stability when subjected to hardy soil conditions. Its handle is 48 inches, which is shorter when compared to some other diggers. The combination of short handle and a heavy construction is meant to give more leverage for task that are very demanding. Its high carbon steel material blade has a spread of 6.25 inches which is ideal for digging post holes that fit standard posts.
- Custom-built for most outdoor jobs including gardening, shrub planting, fencing, plant nourishment, decking, and many others.
- It is a manual post hole digger.
- Its blade is made of high carbon steel and it has a spread of 6.25 inches. This is ideal for digging post holes that fit well standard posts.
- The unit is heavier than other models.
- It has a 48 inch handle which complements its weight. This is designed to create more leverage when working on tough or highly demanding tasks.
- It has a good stability.
- Its blades are wide enough to dig spacious post holes.
- It offers the best leverage when working on tough soil conditions.
- Ideal for a wide variety of applications.
- Good quality product.
- It has strong blades.
- Works well on tough soils.
- Easy to use.
- Cheap to maintain.
- Works as required.
- Manufactured by a top brand.
- It might be too heavy for the elderly.
5. Seymour Structron Hercules PD48 Post Hole Digger
There are many brands, models, types, and sizes of post hole diggers in the market and different machines can never be equal. If you have been a hand tool enthusiast for a while, then it is probably not your first time to hear about Seymour. This is one of those brands that have been in the market of hand tools for years. They offer a wide array of options when it comes to post hole digging. The Seymour Structron Hercules PD48 is one of its latest models bursting with some unique features. It has a fiberglass handle, a core insert, a cushioned grip, and a 6-1/4 inch spread. It is a manual post hole digger that is designed to last and it is affordable as well.
- It is a manual posthole digger.
- Built for heavy duty professional use.
- Comes with a fiberglass handle and a core insert which offer extra strength for most outdoor tasks.
- The ends of the handles have a cushioned grip that offers the best comfort and superior leverage when working on your job.
- It offers a 6 and a quarter inch point spread when digging.
- No need for gas to operate.
- Quite sturdy for most tasks.
- Easy to use.
- Professional grade machine.
- Comfortable to handle thanks to its fiberglass handles with cushioned grip at the ends.
- Does not pollute the environment.
- Does not produce noise when operating.
- Not ideal for highly demanding work.
- Quite tasking to dig many post holes.
4. Truper 30376 Garden Pro Atlas Pattern Post Hole Digger
It has a 48-inch handle that is professional and allows for easy and efficient digging of your post holes. The handles made of wood and the grips of white ash allow for firm grip on the hands. The blades of the tool are made of tough steel for even more strength. It is also ideal just for domestic grade use.
- It has a long handle that measure up to 48 inches.
- The blades made of tough steel.
- Handles made of wood.
- It is not ideal for heavy duty.
3. Seymour DG-12 Post Hole Digger
This is a manual post hole digger from Seymour designed for a wide variety of applications. This sturdy device is designed for working on sandy, loosely packed, or loamy soil. You can use it for digging holes for fencing, tree planting, shrub planting, ice fishing, making holes for signs, decking, and many others. Its lacquered wood handle measures 48 inches. The blades are strong enough to handle some light duties and not highly demanding work.
- It is a manual post hole digger.
- Its spread is 10-1/2 by 7 inches.
- Ideal for light duties such as tree planting, making holes for signs, fencing, and others.
- Works perfectly on loamy, sandy, or loose soils.
- Its wooden handle is made of grade 1 lacquered wood and it is 48 inches long.
- It has enameled and blue colored blades.
- Easy to use.
- Rust resistant.
- Easy to store.
- The best for light duties.
- Does not work on hard grounds.
2. Bully Tools 92384 Post Hole Digger
If you are a brand-conscious buyer then this is perhaps one of those post hole digger brands that will win your heart. This is a fully USA made tool and is one of the top machines for post hole digging. It is designed for a wide variety of applications including garden use, ranching, farming, and commercial industries. Its handles are designed using fiberglass and it has a triple wall protection to provide extra strength. Its blades are made of robust 14-gauge steel and it has a dimension of 9 x 5 inches.
This is wide enough to dig a wide hole for most post sizes. The easy to use tool has a total length of 59.5 inches and its handles measures 47 inches. This unit is even backed by a limited warranty. The manual post hole digger has impressed many buyers too and most of them would never hesitate in recommending to a friend.
- USA made product.
- Measures 59.5 inches with 14-gauge steel blades that measure 9 x 5 inches. The handle measures 47 inches.
- Ideal for gardeners, landscapers, and other outdoor users.
- Its handles are made of heavy duty fiberglass.
- Covered by a limited warranty.
- Manual post hole digger.
- Perfect for light duty work.
- Sturdy blades dig through even the toughest grounds.
- It has strong fiberglass handles.
- Comfortable to handle.
- Covered by a comprehensive warranty.
- Its overall design is ergonomic to minimize physical strain.
- Quality for money. Manufactured by a top brand.
- Robust design.
- Easy to use.
- It does what it has been designed to do.
- Does not work well in hard soils.
1. Seymour 21306 Iwan Auger with Hardwood Handle
Seymour is one of those brands that can never go unnoticed when it comes to the design of hand tools. The 21306 Iwan Auger that has a hardwood handle is built to endure. The unit is a top pick and a favorite to most outdoor enthusiasts. All its components are built with sturdiness in mind. Some of the signature features to note about it include: a hardwood handle with a riveted steel blade connected using iron yoke, a 6-inch blade spread that digs wide post holes, a welded steel handle, and steel shaft. Click here to read our full review.
- It has tough steel blades that can work well on hard soils.
- Its sharp steel blades have a 6-inch wide spread that allows you to dig wide post holes.
- Works well on even soil and clay.
- It comes with a full steel shaft and a welded steel handle that remain sturdy on the hardiest conditions.
- It does not require gasoline to operate and can dig deep and well-rounded post holes.
- Manufactured by a top manufacturer.
- Fully USA manufactured product.
- It is a manual post hole digger.
- It can handle most outdoor jobs that require post hole digging.
- It has a robust design that can handle tough soil conditions.
- Digs deeper as required.
- It is highly versatile.
- Quality for money.
- Easy to use.
- Its 6 inch spread helps dig wide holes.
- Its overall build is designed with durability in mind. All components are built to endure.
- The wooden handle might cause blisters.
- Does not work well enough on rocky soil.
A Final Word
You have so many options to choose from when it comes to choosing among the best manual post hole diggers. They come in many types, sizes, brands and models. Post hole diggers will fall into any of these categories: manual, gas powered, or tractor/hydraulic post hole digger. Each of these types has its own pros and drawbacks. It is also important to consider the brand you are buying from since different manufactures differ when it comes to product quality, warranty, price, and terms of delivery. Different models within a brand will also differ and therefore it is prudent to check out all you need to know about a product before making a purchase. Most importantly, consider the kind of work at hand since different units are designed for unique tasks. Most of them might not do the same work.